La Vega ECHS Admissions Policy
La Vega ISD Early College High School’s primary focus is on providing students from underrepresented backgrounds (i.e. at-risk, low income and/or first generation college attendees) the opportunity to earn 60+ college credits free of charge while attending high school. As a designated Early College High School we must target students from underrepresented backgrounds; however, we encourage students of all backgrounds to apply.
Early College High School is available to any LVHS student that meets the criteria listed below:
- The student must have a desire to be a part of the ECHS program and be able to explain this in a writing.
- The student’s parent and/or guardian must want their child to be part of the program.
- Both the parent/guardian must agree to abide by the standards of academic and behavioral expectations of ECHS.
- Both the parent and student must agree to comply with all the policies of the program including the Electronic Information resource agreement for issued devices.
- Both parent and student must agree that the ultimate goal is to graduate from La Vega ECHS with college credits as planned.
Note: In accordance with the Texas Education Agency rules for ECHS Blueprint Benchmark 1, academics, discipline, state assessments and/or teacher recommendations cannot be considered in the selection process.
La Vega ISD ECHS does not discriminate on the basis of sex, sexual orientation, transgender, disability, race, color, age or national origin as required by Title IX, Section 504 and Title VI.
La Vega ECHS Admissions Process
- Student or parent expresses a desire to pursue ECHS.
- Administrator and/or counselor conducts an in depth orientation and for both the parents and students. This orientation will cover the structure, goals, intent, and standard expectations of La Vega ISD and La Vega High School ECHS.
- Student and parent/guardian will complete the ECHS application answering designated questions and either submit it in person to La Vega ECHS or a La Vega Middle School administrator.
- Review of the ECHS application is done blindly with all identifying information hidden from the selection committee. The selection committee consists of Central Administration, Campus Administration, Counselors, and Teachers of the La Vega Early College High School and George Dixon Junior High.
- Complete applications that meet the selection criteria are placed in a lottery pool in which students are chosen to become the future ECHS cohort by random drawing.
- Selected applicants and their parents/guardians are notified by the Dean of Advanced Academics two weeks following the lottery drawing.
- Parents/guardians and students have two weeks to notify the Dean of Advanced Studies of their acceptance or rejection of the invitation to become a member of the Early College High School.
- A second random lottery drawing will be held to fill any vacancies left to meet the TEA agreed upon maximum cohort size.